Monday, November 2, 2009

10,000 hours to achieve mastery....

"Every artist was first an amateur" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Had I kept up with painting and drawing after getting a degree in art, I might be closer to the 10,000 hour rule
. My drawing skills got rusty since college, so I figure I'm not yet halfway there. One good thing about working with colored pencils is that it's sharpening my drawing skills.

Portraits are especially challenging and really good for developing your visual memory. Here are some drawings I've been working on in the last couple of weeks(click on photos to enlarge):

A sketch of my niece Becky and her daughter Katherine from a photo I took:


A sketch of Katherine from a photo:


Colored pencil drawing from the same photo:


Joshua in colored pencil:


Tea time in colored pencil:


My cat Cleo:


And nothing like a self portrait to honestly examine where your face is going:


Self portrait in colored pencil:

No comments:

Post a Comment